Saturday, March 14, 2009

First Daffodil of Spring

Here is the first daffodil of 2009. It is really a tiny thing, only about 4-6 inches tall and not yet fully opened, but it is there and it is yellow, so that's a good thing.
Here is a better picture of the Iris histrioides that I promised. I'm glad these came back, since the first time I tried them they didn't. The clump has even expanded. Again, these are tiny things, several inches tall. We have them in full sun in a gravelly place and that seems to have made them happy. I just love the colors and patterns on this one which is called 'Katharine Hodgkin'. She must have been a pretty lady to have such and exquisitely patterned flower named after her. The blue is sometimes leaning towards more of a grey shade, especially after they have been out for a day which is even more unusual in a flower.
Tomorrow I'll put up the pictures of our miniature daffodils. Not all are as early as our first bloom, some not showing their faces until the very end of daffodil season. Some have foliage that looks more like chives - round rather than flat - but all are charming.
Jane

1 comment:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I have been watching for my first daff. to open for a week. I think it is waiting for a sunny day.
That is a most unusual Iris. I think I am going to buy a few to plant in my garden this year, as they seem to be easy to take care of.