Friday, March 20, 2009

Abeliophyllum

Often called White Forsythia, this is really Abeliophyllum distichum. It blooms slightly earlier than Forsythia and seems to tolerate colder nights without damage. As I look out my window here, there is one totally covered in white blossoms. It makes a good cut flower and has a scent like honey. It tip roots, so if you don't want it to expand, keep it trimmed up from the ground. If you'd like another to transplant in a year or so, just put a rock on a branch to hold it to the ground, about a foot from the end, and it will root nicely and make you a new bush to transplant where you'd like one.

This is the pink version. I wish it always looked this good. It is always covered with blooms, jus tlike the white one, but in some years, not sure what causes it, it will be the very palest pink just as the blooms emerge, and then turn just as white as the white one. On years when it is pink, there is nothing else in the yard at this time to match it. Just wish it did this every year. This year all of our pink ones are very white and you can't tell them from the others.
Jane

3 comments:

Sylvia (England) said...

Jane, I would like a White Forsythia but as space is limited. I think I prefer the white version, it flowers in February here (according to the books!) so would be very welcome by me and the bees.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I like the look of the Abeliophyllum.

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I wish it bloomed that early here. It is about the third shrub to bloom after the daphne and the early honeysuckle, but it is usually mid-March before it is in bloom.
Jane