Sunday, March 1, 2009

Anemone blanda

Anemones are also called Windflowers. The one above, Anemone blanda, is also called Grecian Windflower and has been in commerce for over 100 years. Windflowers come in varying shades of blue, white and pink. I planted a version of this, a summer blooming one, last year with a bright red flower. Not sure how closely related it is, though.
These are small like most of the early spring bulbs and have delicate, ferny foliage. These little tubers don't like to dry out, so they need to be planted as soon after they are dug as possible. If you receiver these by mail order, it is a good idea to soak them before planting. We often soak our little spring bulbs in something that will repel those critters who would like to snack on them. These will like to grow in light shade, but be sure they get enough sun in the spring to ripen the foliage and insure next year's blooms before they go dormant in late spring.
Jane

2 comments:

Gardeness said...

I have all of 10 of these bulbs. Never planted them before and believe I mistook one for a weed. I quickly covered it back up and am waiting it out now.

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I'm sure it will recover. That's one problem I have with newly planted things too - not recognizing them the first season they come up. I forgot to mention this morning that these will self seed when they're happy.
Jane