Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fuchsias

This is one of the rare times when the picture wasn't taken in my garden. I wish the colors were still bright, but it was taken over 30 years ago when we were visiting my inlaws who were living and working in Ireland for a few years. What is faded red in the pictures was bright in person. For those who only know Fuchsias as hanging baskets for the summer garden, you will be as amazed as I was to discover that Fuchsias can grow into 10 foot tall hedges. This pictures was taken in September and they were in full bloom. I used to take my baby son for his afternoon walk along this road just to enjoy the flowers. I've never seen them grow like this anywhere else. I learned not long ago that it isn't pronounced as I had always heard, few-sha, but rather as fook-sia. Seems they were named after a Mr. Fuchs and should be pronounded like his name. No matter how longer you garden, there is definitely always something to learn.
Jane

No comments: