Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Daylilies - Unusual Form

No, I'm not calling them names, Unusual Form is one of the latest categories for daylilies. Some of them used to be lumped in with the 'spidery' category since they didn't have petals narrow enough to be classified as spiders. They seem to be becoming popular with some hybridizers. This first one is 'Gold Elephant'.
Next is 'Green Nautulus' which is a newer one, in our garden for just a couple of years.
'Jan's Twister' has been around for awhile. It is a lovely light peach color and the largest of those pictured this morning, probably almost a foot across in our garden.

'Lady Hillary' has also been around for awhile, since back when our first lady's name was Hillary, though I guess it could have also been named for Sir Edmund's wife. I've never heard anyone say.



'Laurena' is also newer. Nice to see some colors other than yellow and cream in this form. Since there are probably more yellow daylilies than any other color, I guess I shouldn't be surprised there are also more yellow UFs.



'Swirley Green' was also added just a year or so ago and has turned into quite a lovely thing. I like the lighter edged on the petals.






'Tahoe Snow Blizzard' starts out this color in the morning, but lightens up as the day progresses. I do most of my daylily pictures early before things cook in the heat (me included), so this one is more cream.






Last but not least is 'Watchyl Protean Spider'. This bloom was out just yesterday.

We had over an inch of rain overnight, so I might have to put off taking my pictures today until things dry up a bit. The daylily foliage with all of the rain we've had this year is over my knees and gets me soaking wet when I walk the rows early in the morning.
Jane







No comments: