Monday, April 27, 2009

A Quiz

I thought I'd do something different this morning. I had taken a few pictures of plants just emerging because I thought they were so interesting and, sometimes, not at all like what they will be once fully up and opened. I thought it might make for an interesting guessing game, and so here are 10 pictures. I'll award a prize for the person who gets the most right. In case of a tie, the one who is closest to the actual name and not just, like 'rose', will be the winner. With some of these, that's not possible since all version of the plant come up looking about the same. So see what you can do. In the case of a U.S. winner, I'll give a gift certificate to the nursery. In the case of someone overseas where we don't ship, I'll find another way to do work it out. Entries accepted until 11:59 PM Eastern Time on Sunday, May 3rd to give you plenty of time to contemplate these photos and get your brains working. If people seem to be having a lot of trouble, I might post a few hints on Saturday.
Jane

#1

#2

#3

#4



#5



#6





#7






#8








#9







#10














2 comments:

Sylvia (England) said...

Jane, I missed this post until I saw the mention about it on your dandelion post - I do like dnadelions if only the wouldn't seed, so I really want this white one!!

I haven't a lot of time but here goes:
1. I know it, I'm sure I do but..
2. One of our wild ferns (UK) but not sure which one.
3. Maidenhair fern
4. I really don't know
5. Lily
6. Solomon Seal
7. Hosta
8. Grass!
9 & 10 are both plants I don't recognise.

Forget about prizes (for me anyway) it is fun to take part, I look forward to the answers. I hope someone else has a go.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

10 Singer said...

Hi, My name is Janice Wood
I garden in Dryden NY. I think I know some of the plants, but not all of them. Hope I get one right!

Here are my "guesses".

1. fritillaria Crown Imperial
2. Fiddler fern
3. Maiden Hair fern
4. Eremurus (foxtail lily)
5. Lilium Orientalis. The one I have is Stargazer)
6. Iris Reticulata
7. skunk cabbage Araceae Symplocarpus foetidus
8. ornamental grass Red Switch, Panicum virgatum 'Rotstrahlbusch'
(it remins me of my Hakonechloa aurea, which is yellow/white/green)
9.arum
10. snake root