Monday, April 20, 2009

Daffodils - Division 6, Cyclamineus

This group has a wind-swept appearance and only one bloom per stem. They tend to be smallish blooms.
The first one is 'Surfside'.

Next is 'Snipe'

Lasst for this morning is 'Beryl'.




Off to town this morning (again - got to stop this or I'll get nothing done around here) but hopefully will get some gardening done this afternoon if the rain stops for awhile. I worked in the rain yesterday after we got back from Church and managed to get all of the broccoli, cauliflower and early seeds planted. After lunch and in some dry clothes, I finished digging the bed for the strawberries and got them planted and mulched with pine needle. It was the perfect day to get all of the transplants in because we had over an inch of rain last night and no really sunny days until Thursday. I hope all of my new plantings will be happy.
Jane

3 comments:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

We have a lovely sunny day on the way, so i am ready to get out and play in the dirt. Have a wonderful day.

Sylvia (England) said...

I do like snipe, is it fussy about the soil? It looks similar to the species N. cyclamineus which is quite particular and the bulbs are very expensive!

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Sylvia, I think you may be right about this being N. cyclamineus. It is not a 'boughtened' one and had been in this garden since before we lived here. Hank always just called it Snipe. Maybe the former owners told him that was the name, don't know. Snipe, apparently, after I looked it up, has petals that are not so swept back and a yellower cup. I'll have to do a bit more checking on this one.
Jane