Saturday, June 13, 2009

This is Irvin and Ethel Pott, Mary Pott Unger's brother and sister-in-law. I know you can't judge the year it was taken strictly by the cars in the upper left corner, since people didn't buy new cars as often back then, but judging from the clothes, it was probably in the early to mid 40s. I think it was taken at the farm, looking from the house across the road. I don't know much about either of these people, though I vaguely remember them still being alive when I first met Berry, though I'm not totally sure about that. I don't think I ever met either of them, though I'm sure they lived around Reading since I don't know of any family members who moved away.
Big day today with the Hosta Club tour at noon. I made all of the cookies, actually an extra batch since one of them came out really badly. The chocolate ones with the Hershey kisses in the center were supposed to stay as round balls that you rolled in confectioner's sugar. Unfortunately they ended up as flat things with little lumps in the center, kind of reminiscent of the drawing in the beginning of The Little Prince of a boa constrictor that had swallowed an elephant. I had forgotten about that until I started reading it in French. Anyway, I just have to make the pizza bread and the lemonade this morning and set everything out. Leslie will be here at 10:30 to help get organized before they get here. Not sure if she'll have too much to do while we're giving the people the tour since I don't expect too many customers again until the daylilies are in full bloom in a week or 2, but she's working in exchange for 6 daylilies and lunch, so not a bad deal for either of us. For the 3 hours, she ends up making about $12 an hour for potentially doing absolutely nothing but eating chocolate cookies. Good work if you can get it.
Love,
Mom

No comments: