Monday, June 22, 2009

Great Red Dragon

Yesterday's star in the garden was 'Great Red Dragon', a Jamie Gossard daylily. It's going to get harder to pick a favorite as more things bloom, but yesterday was easy. This is last years picture and this year the blooms are even better - thinner petals, and they look like they were cut out of oilcloth. I guess you'll have to be somewhat older to picture oilcloth, but that's what it reminded me of. Jamie is one of our Ohio hybridizers. He's been at this awhile and his flowers just keep getting better. His new introductions aren't cheap, but patience will get them in a few years when they will be just as pretty for a more reasonable price. As I've gotten older, I've learned more patience than I thought possible, and since I always love a bargain, most of the 'new introductions' in my beds are now added when they are a few years old. Still gorgeous, but within my budget. As you all know, plant collecting can be an expensive hobby, but as many people have said, there are lots of worse ways we could be spending our money and gardening keeps us out of trouble - too busy weeding during the day and too tired at night to go out. Then again, maybe it's just being old that keeps me out of trouble.
Jane