Monday, January 26, 2009

Dennstaedtia

These are medium sized ferns with soft, feathery fronds. They spread by runners and can make a nice colony. They, like so many others, are primarily tropical, but one is native to North America, Dennstaedtia punctilobula or Hay Scented Fern. These grow in zones 3 to 8 so will be happy in most parts of the U.S. and I expect many other places as well. Unlike most of the other ferns I grow, these are partial to a more sunny spot and will tolerate only light shade. A very un-fern-like fern. Once established it will even tolerate fairly dry soil.
The name comes from the fact that when brushed against, they smell like hay. The scent comes from gland-tipped whitish hairs which cover the fern. This very adaptable fern is deciduous and turns a lovely soft yellow color in the fall.
No ferns showing outside today since we had a bit of snow last night and it is snowing again as I write. The forecast is for up to 8 inches over the next couple of days. So pretty outside, maybe I'll wander around this afternoon and take some 'conifer covered with snow' pictures.
Jane

1 comment:

fons slot said...

Great I discovered yout blog.
For me especially ferns are of most interest.
Keep writing about our secret friends and have a look at mine:

http://varenbos.blogspot.com/

However in Dutch, pictures are nice.
I hope to create one in english version soon.
Fons