Thursday, February 26, 2009

Trachycarpus fortunei


This is not exactly an outside plant, though when it is larger it technically should be able to survive winter outside here in zone 6 with some protection (and if it doesn't get way too cold). In other words, it is destined to forever be a houseplant. It is considered one of the hardy palms and is a truly lovely thing that lives in a shaded spot outside in the summer and a not too sunny spot in the greenhouse in the winter. It is evergreen and seems to be quite undemanding as long as I water it and feed it regularly. Our is about 4 years old and maybe 3 feet tall and getting quite bushy. In fact, it is getting a little big for the greenhouse which is really a tiny one, gotten 15 years ago when I didn't realize I would want a bigger one. Maybe just as well because I do tend to fill empty plant spaces with plants (windowsills, ceiling hooks, tables, etc).
Despite the prediction of rain for today, the temperatures will be in the 60s so I hope to be able to work outside for at least awhile. I love my hibernation time in the winter when I have lots of time to work on the website and sew and work on the ongoing renovation of our 'antique' house, but sometime in February I start to get itchy to get back to work in the garden. I think that time has arrived for this year.
Jane

4 comments:

Sylvia (England) said...

Jane, my next door neigbour has one of these, which is fine as they like it but I feel they look out of place in the English countryside. By the sea they look much better. I can't decide whether to just ignore it or plant something my side of the wall that will make it look more at home! Mind you it can't look worse than a telegraph pole, can it!

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Sylvia, I know what you mean. If I ever get brave enough to plant ours outside, it will have to be near some tropical looking things. Planted with hostas it would definitely look out of place. I remember palm trees when I spent some time on the west coast of Ireland. I thought they looked silly there too, even next to the sea, though I loved the fuchsias growing as tall hedges everywhere.
Jane

Sylvia (England) said...

Jane, thank goodness I am not the only one! I have another neigbour who has a palm (or palm type bush) next to a 'native' hedge. There is not many things I don't like in gardens but this is one.

Would love to hear more about your hellebores?

Best wishes Sylvia

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Hellebores soon. I can finally see buds starting and as soon as they bloom I'll devote a week just to them. In the meanwhile, I'm going to start with some spring bulbs that are starting to bloom as of yesterday.
Jane