Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ferns - Part Last

This has to be one of my all time favorite ferns - a Tatting Fern, otherwise known as Athyrium filix-femina 'Frizelliae'. It is a small fern and quite unusual. It is just so different from any other fern. I think it is pretty commonly available. It doesn't, unfortunately, come true from spores.

Last of the ferns is Woodwardia areolata, or Netted Chain Fern. It is hardy from zones 3-9 and a small thing at not much over 1 foot tall. The fronds are reddish green in early spring and dark glossy green when mature. It is native to acidic bogs and swamps of eastern North America. Despite that, it grows happily in the average shady garden.
Our wind storm was not as bad as we had feared it would be. We were all set to lose our electricy and from the electric company's website, about 10 percent of those in the county did lose their power, but the wind wasn't as high and the thunderstorms not as bad as the forecast so we are quite thankful this morning. The only damage I see is a few chairs and benches blown over. Glad I don't have to spend the day playing 'pick up sticks' again.
Jane

2 comments:

Sylvia (England) said...

Janie, this has been a great series of posts on ferns. I will come back to it when I need to know something about ferns. I am looking forward to getting my poor ferns out of their pots (they had to be moved last year and have spent 9 months in pots - poor things!).

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

fons slot said...

Hi Jane,
Tou did well on discribing the ferns,
I enjoyed it.
Fons