Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Puschkinia

These little guys (6-8 inches tall) are just popping up everywhere right now. I never knew about them until I moved to Ohio 15 years ago. We never grew them when I was growing up. One of the nicest things about them is that they self seed so easily. They end up in the grass, other flower beds, just about anywhere. They are easy to find because even the tiniest plants bloom; maybe only one flower instead of the whole flowerhead, but they do bloom. They also stay in bloom for what seems like a very long time. Some are more white and some more blue, but there is only kindyou will usually see offered, official name Puschkinia libanotica or Lebanon Squill. There is an all white version, but it is not readily available. This plant was named after a Russian count, and is native to Asia Minor where it is found in damp places. Here it grows just about any place it chooses. It makes a good cu tflower and is fragrant.
I know I promised other pictures this morning - and I did take them - but since it was sunny, even though not all that warm, we worked outside all day. When I came in at supper time to download the pictures from the camera, it wouldn't do it because of a low battery. I put the battery on the charger with the good intention of doing the pictures after supper. Unfortunately I was just so tired from working all day, that it didn't happen. Should get it done for tomorrow.
Jane

3 comments:

♥♥♥♥♥ Jennifer™® ♥♥♥♥♥ said...

your blog is so good......

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I like the blue and white of this little flower.

Northern Shade said...

I love Puschkinias. They are such charming flowers. I grow the P. libanotica with blue stripes, and the 'Alba', which is almost all white, but if you look close mine have very faint blue stripes.