Friday, March 13, 2009

Iris - early spring types

This first one we've grown for years. It needs to be replaced occasionally since it doesn't seem to be all that long lived here. It is Iris danfordiae which is originally from Asia Minor. It is a tiny one, only about 4 inches tall and the most wonderful bright yellow. They sometimes only bloom every few years because the bulbs want to divide after bloom to make new plants and the new, smaller bulbs aren't of blooming size the next year. Still worth growing and, like most of the small bulbs, not expensive.
This next are two different Iris reticulata clones, probably the darker one is the species and the lighter one I. reticulata Cantab. These were planted so long ago, before I was really good at marking things, that I'm not sure. These come up very early and might even bloom while there is still snow on the ground. They're taller than the danfordiae, but not by much. Danfordiae seems to have almost no stems sometimes while these have thin, wiry stems about 6 inches tall.

This is a horrible picture, taken last year that didn't download properly. I will take a new one today, hopefully, since these have just come into bloom. Will post tomorrow with all of the information, but just wanted to include it with the other early spring iris.

Our first daffodil bloomed yesterday, or rather, almost bloomed. The flower was there, all nice an yellow, but not quite open. It is always the first one to bloom, even before 'February Gold' which blooms here closer to April most years. My first bloomer is one of the tiniest of the miniatures, barely 5 inches tall with a flower less than an inch in diameter. Much as I like a large bouquet of big daffodils (and will fill my house with them for as long as they are blooming) these miniatures are just charming and I have added a lot of them, especially near the house. They aren't really good in the main beds because they would just get lost/overlooked there, but in a rock garden setting or along a woodsy path they are just perfect.
I think I'll post some pictures of the tiny ones tomorrow along with (hopefully) a better picture of that lovely light blue iris.
Jane


2 comments:

Sylvia (England) said...

Early daffodils are always special, I will be back to find out which variety flowers first for you, Jane. I often buy these Iris in flower and then plant them in the garden. Not all come up each year but I do get some flowers.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)
PS I have a new guest post at www.tulipsinthewoods.com

Anonymous said...

I'll wait for more pictures of that beautiful light blue Iris. Please be quick.