Sunday, August 31, 2008

Pumpkin 'One Too Many'

This is a gorgeous new pumpkin that I'm growing for the first time this year. I always plant a few hills somewhere - this year they are at the edge of the parking lot. From the catalog description, these are good pie pumpkins, so after I enjoy them as decorations, I'll cook them all down and put them in boxes for pies and breads and muffins over the winter. This is a fairly large one, at least 10 pounds at this point. I have at least a half dozen of them in various stages of readlness, this being the largest so far. I also have planted some Jahrdale Blue (at least I think that's how you spell it) which is a large flatter rather than rounder pumpkin which is a very nice shade of blue. I've grown them before and the flesh is extremely smooth and string free with a wonderful taste. Makes one almost wish that summer was over and pumpkin harvest time was here.
Jane

No comments: