Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hibiscus syriacus - more Rose of Sharon

I realized after the last post that I probably shouldn't assume you all knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the old fashioned Rose of Sharon, so I went out and took some pictures. The first is probably the most common color, a nice lavender. There may be a named variety of this one, but if there is, I don't know it. It is the one that seems to get shared around (that's how I got my first one) and seeds prolifically. As long as you get the seedlings out when they're tiny, it's no problem. Let one get a foot tall, hidden in some nearby foliage, and you'll have quite a tug to get it removed.

This one is probably the next most common one, the white with a red eye, also unnamed as far as I know.
This last one turned up as a seedling here and is pure white with no eye. I haven't seen one like it in catalogs, so I may propagate it when I have time. The flowers are a bit smaller, but there are lots of them.

Cool weather today so lots of weeding will get done. A few more days of this and we just might get caught up.
Jane


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in New Jersey and a friend of mine gave me some bulbs, which she called "Suprise Lilies." I had the bulbs in the garage in a plastic container for several weeks and yesterday my husband told me something was blooming. It was the Surprise Lily, with three blooms. When I saw your blog today, for August 18, I had another surprise--the same flower. These guys must have good genes. p. demarest