Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Polytepal daylilies

Polytepal daylilies are those with more than the usual 3 petals and 3 sepals. The phenomenon can occur in any cultivar, but only those where it happens most of the time can be registered as polytepal. I suppose it is an acquired taste, but I am especially drawn to them. I don't know if it is my design sense, (quilt design) but I can pick them out from a distance where others seem to not notice. Maybe I just like things that are different. After all when you're left handed and have red hair, you are already quite a minority in the population. We odd ones have to stick together.


This first one is our new introduction for this year, 'Polymultipetalicious'. We put off introducing this one for quite a few years until I came up with a name I liked. Naming cats and kids is much easier than naming daylilies. After all, with cats and kids you just pick a name you like. With daylilies you are also trying to pick a name that will attact attention and make someone want to buy it.


This is a 5 x 5 polytepal. I've even seen 6 or 7 petaled versions. Its name is 'Too Many Petals' and was hybridized by Bobby Baxter.


This last one is 'Grapefruit Guts' which was our first introduction. We still sell some of it to collectors even though it is almost 10 years old now. There are 40 or 50 thousand registered daylilies, but only a dozen or so registered polytepals, partly because not many people are breeding for the trait and partly because they only make it a registration option a few years ago.
Deer are making more of a nuisance of themselves every day. My fishing line fencing is keeping them somewhat out of things, but is not perfect and I do have to do some fence mending most days, but we are getting bloom which is better than last year. Some sort of tall, sturdy fencing seems to be in the future, though.
Jane


No comments: