Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ranunculus 'Buttered Popcorn'


This was the first ranunculus we grew. The flowers are pretty much exactly like the wild buttercup and just as fleeting, but the variegated leaves are pretty all season, and in a mild winter in a sheltered place, they may just stick around. If not, they are up just as soon as there is a hint of spring. This plant will grow in sun or shade, thought in hot baking sun it may wilt in the afternoon. It seems to grow in most soil types and though it prefers a slightly damp place, will also grow dry. It does tend to spread a bit, but I haven't had it seed into other places, only spread by stolons. It is low growing and could be used as a ground cover in some situations, but won't take much foot traffic. It seems to have colonized an area around my greenhouse. I never planted it there, but I think it 'escaped' from a flat I had potted up and didn't move for a long time. I also have some growing under a metasequoia and under benches in my sales area. Very adaptable and quite pretty.

No comments: