Monday, April 7, 2008

Hellebores Again


I know I talked about hellebores a few days ago, but this one just came out and it is so unusual I just had to put its pictures up. We have lots with spots/speckles on the inside, but this is the first one we've had with markings on the outside (it has them inside also). It is one we got from Pink Knot 2 years ago and this is the first time it has bloomed. Quite unusual. A note on hellebores which show that no matter how long you have gardened there is always something to learn. I bring flowers to church every Sunday and yesterday decided to make a bouquet of hellebores. I'd never used them as cut flowers before. I fix my flowers late on Saturday and put them in a cool place overnight so they'll be fresh in the morning. Hellebores are not a good cut flower except to enjoy right away. By morning all of the stems were bent over so the flowers had their faces on the table. Luckily I mixed in some of the white forsythia and a little florist wire got the hellebores standing up again. Always something to learn in the garden.

No comments: