Friday, July 30, 2010

Callicarpa - The Variegated Ones

We've been growing this first one, Callicarpa japonica 'Variegata' (I worry about people who can't come up with a better or more creative name for a plant they create than 'variegata') for a couple of years. I was told it was more tender, but we've had not problems with it so far. I have two of them, one in pretty deep shade and the other that gets a lot of morning sun. They grow about the same in both conditions. At least so far, I haven't known them to be the wonderful bloomers that the green leafed forms are, but then, I guess that leaves make up for that.
This next one is a new addition this year, so I can't tell you much about how it grows or behaves or survives over the winter. Its name is Callicarpa dichotoma 'Shiji Murasake'. Since it is a dichotoma like the green form, I would guess that it will be every bit as hardy. I like the splashed variegation which seems to be showing up on more and more plants lately. No sign of bloom on this one, but it is still a baby.
Tomorrow, hibiscus.
Jane

No comments: