Friday, May 29, 2009

Free Plants - Part 2

I didn't have a clue when I wrote about free plants yesterday that it would be a 2 part post. Mid morning, Hank brought me down a wheelbarrow full of Pseudacorus Iris (picture above). They had just expanded too much in the Lotus pond where they were growing. I couldn't bear to compost them, but really didn't have any place to plant them just then. Instead I went in and posted to Freecycle to see if I could give them away. I had a wonderful response and hopefully by tomorrow, they will be blooming in 5 new gardens.
I can't say enought good things about Freecycle. If you don't know it, it is an online group where you can post about things you'd like to give away or things you need. No money is exchanged - everything is free. Groups are for the local area. We have a fairly active group here, and though I've never gotten anything - after certain age you really don't need so many 'things' - but I've given away plenty, a trumpet, an air conditioner, a ceiling fan, a garden seeder and weed whip, an old typewriter, yarn, fabric, chestnuts, a lot of bamboo, and probably more I can't remember. It's so nice to find homes for things I don't need any more and that someone else does need. I'll certainly keep using it and if you don't know it you should check it out. Lots of garden related stuff this time of year.
No rain yesterday except a few drips. We really didn't need any more just yet. In a week we'll need rain, but we've already had almost 2 inches this week. Lots of weeds got pulled and I pruned (again) the overenthusiastic forsythia that had formed a tunnel over the path into my shed. Crawling under the forsythia is not fun and so, once again, it was trimmed back. I know you're not supposed to prune things repeatedly so you don't cut off next years bloom, but with forsythia it doesn't seem to matter so much and as I've said before, I like paths that I can walk on without my machete.
Jane

1 comment:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I have found forsythia to be rather forgiving, and it really does not seem to mind being pruned more than once in a season.