Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hamamelis - Part Last

WE're at the end of the Hamamelis, just as I picked the first bouquet to bring in the house last evening. It's amazing how quickly the scent fills the room. My whole kitchen smells like spring as come.
This first one is Primeri. An old one that I don't know too much about, except that it is yellow, and as you can see, has very curly flowers of a pale yellow.

Next is Rochester. I know it is probably named after the city either here or on England, but I can't help thinking of the Jack Benny show whenever I hear the name. I guess that says that I'm getting pretty old if I remember that one. It's one of those sort of rainbow colored ones up close with shades from yellow to red, changing as they go down the petals from tips to the center of the flowers. The effect from a distance is a light orange.

Strawberries and Cream is one of my favorites, not just for the name, but for the unusual color, a creamy pinky sort of thing. I know this is a terrible icture, but I spent all of last spring trying to get a better one, but to no avail. It is one of the last ones to bloom, way out of sequence with the others. It is also the one most likely to be moved this year since it was placed temporarily in a place where it will be way too big in a year or so. Not sure where it's going, but I do know it will move. We've had pretty good luck moving these. Actually it is in a place where several things before it have had to be moved - first a Forsythia 'Lime Time' which was supposed to be a dwarf. When it was five feet tall and wide it went somewhere else. Then there was the Euphorbia 'Jesse'. That one never got the promised yellow color on the top leaves and spread by underground runners and threatened to take over what is otherwise a very civilized bed. It moved to the hedgerow that borders the creek in the back with other less than polite things that have been banished from the more formal parts of the garden.


This next one is Westerstede, another of the German introductions. This one has been extermely fast growing and very free flowering. The color is a darker yellow which is quite visible from a distance where it lives above the upper pond amidst small conifer and under a Magnolia 'Butterflies' (or is it Butterfly - can't remember)



Last is Zitroneniette. I think that should be Zitroniette or something like that. I'm sure I have that labeled incorrectly. Will check on it later. This one has been slower growing and is in a daylily/rose/daffodil bed, depending on the season. Some of it's problem may have been because a rabbit(s) chose it to nibble several times when it was younger. It is still there, and hopefully won't be nibbled again since it is getting larger. Mr. Puss, our resident outside cat, seems to be keeping the rabbit population down, or at least away from the gardens. He's a pretty cat, but totally wild. I suspect is lives with one of the neighbors down the road because he seems to be well fed and healthy looking. We see him come down the road in the morning and he spends the days hunting in the gardens. In late afternoon or early evening he heads back down the road. We talk to him, but he wants nothing to do with us, never allowing us closer than about 10 feet to him. He's good, if aloof, company.
On to something else tomorrow, though I don't know yet what. If I get greenhouse pictures ready to put up, maybe some of those.
Jane




No comments: