Monday, September 15, 2008

This will be short. I started working outside this morning about 8 and I just came in and it's almost 5 here. I expect I'll fall asleep shortly after supper this evening. But... I got a tremendous amount of work done on this cloudy and relatively cool day. I lost track of the number of times I filled the wheelbarrow with weeds, did some pruning, packed a box to send tomorrow and checked frequently on my Monarch Butterfly chrysallis. I can now see the pattern of the wings, so I know it will happen soon. I'm hoping to catch the whole thing and post the photos here.
I promised more Liriope photos for today, and here they are. The first is Liriope muscari 'Okina' (I've also seen it as Okino). It comes up all white and gradually adds some green. In good shade, the white color lasts a long time. It is quite stunning in the spring.

This next one is Liriope spicata 'Silver Dragon'. It is a green and white striped one. Both of these are smaller. Okina spreads very slowly if at all. Silver Dragon spreads by runners, one little clump here, another there, unlike the 'normal' green ones which make large, dense clumps. You can see in the picture how it just sort of wanders. This one also seems to like dappled shade. I have one clump growing under a Japanese Maple which I think is the one in the pictures, but have put it all around the garden. You can always tell when I like a plant because you'll see it popping up all over the place.


This Liriope can take quite a bit more sun and the color will be better with some sun. This is Liriope 'Peedee Ingot'. It is quite yellow. Can't remember what color the flowers are, but I think they are lavender. We do have some with white flowers, but I don't think this is one of them.


This one is 'Big Blue' which is a named clone of the species. It is bigger and bluer, but otherwise no different. In a picture it looks just about the same.



We have the plain green Liriopes growing in lots of sun and they seem to take drought without complaint. I do like those dependable plants that don't need to be fussed over even more as I get older and the garden work seems to get harder. I suppose if we just had a yard to take care of instead of something close to 10 acres of gardens I might not get so tired, but I can't imagine being without any part of it and it's what I love to do.

Jane

No comments: