Friday, March 28, 2008

Iris histrioides 'Katharine Hodgkin'


This wonderful little iris came into bloom yesterday. It is tiny and could easily be overlooked if you weren't paying attention, but it is just too wonderful to not have in the garden. The colors are unusual and even a bit more greenish in person. Flowers come before any leaves and are no more than 4 inches tall. These might be tasty for critters, especially the underground types, so when we plant these and anything else the critters might like, they get planted with a Repelex tablet. So far that seems to be working. We also water generously several times a year, but especially when planting with either castor oil or Liquid Fence's Mole and Vole Repellent. Castor oil is cheaper, but hard to mix unless you have easy access to hot water - something I don't have in my garden, so unless it's a small project and I can keep running into the house, I stick with the easy to use stuff. I know people who use wire cages around bulbs, but that's a bit time consuming and voles will just dig down from the top. They do the same in flower pots. Not, to say the least, on of my favorite critters.

No comments: